I love thinking up gift ideas for a high school graduate, but sometimes it is not so easy. I believe in ideas that fit a variety of budgets.
Too, sometimes it depends on your relationship to the graduate and his or her personality too. My boys are more close to those that have been in our homeschool group that they see on a regular basis than even some of their cousins.
Whatever the budget, I know I was asked quite a bit what Mr. Senior 2013 wanted and it can be quite awkward to answer, but people really want to know.
High School Graduation Gift Ideas
Our close friends know that he likes things like classical music, techie things (don’t most kids) and loves books. So I decided to make a list with both inexpensive, but thoughtful gifts and ones that cost a bit more if you are closer to the graduate.
1. iPad Cover – Cool! I think most graduates by now, crazy how times changed, either have an iPad or laptop. If they don’t have one, they probably are getting one for graduation. So a thoughtful idea is to get one or two of those cool looking covers for it.
2. Earphones Whether its just ear buds, or the full set, my boys never have enough of them and they come in a variety of colors and prices.
3. Beats Headphone Mr. Senior 2013 got the red set of these elite headphones from his uncle. He had been swooning over them for a while. So it makes a great gift for either boy or girl because they come in a lot of colors.
4. Amazon Gift Card by E-mail You can never ever go wrong with a gift certificate. What I like about the ones you email is that no gift wrapping is involved, just email and it’s done.
5.Small but Useful Colorful 2in1 Wall Charger Adapter I think a pretty and colorful wall charger adapter along with some ear buds and even an iPad cover make great ideas for a graduate bag stuffer. Really the ideas are endless depending on the graduate’s likes and dislikes. If he or she likes arts, throw in some art supplies too.
6. Travel Bag – For An On The Go Graduate My sister got Mr. Senior 2013 a beautiful leather back pack. She knew we were moving to South America, plus he will be doing some traveling to New York to work on a volunteer building project. Now, he has a beautiful leather bag to take with him.
I think this always makes the best practical gift whether the graduate is going to college or traveling, they will need something like this.
7. iPod Mr. Senior 2013 got this from one of my dearest friends and uses it everyday. He didn’t have one because he had spent his money on his car. So don’t assume seniors have some of these things. He loves his iPod.
8. Love this. Q and A a Day: 5-Year Journal I fell in love with this gift and have been eyeballing it for the next gift when something comes up. It is a 5 year journal.
But it is so cool because all 5 years are on the same page. You can reflect back and see what has been going on the last 5 years. Isn’t that so cool? Just enough lines to write without being too exhaustive to maintain. This would be good for the writer too or for your kids first few years away from you.
I think of course one of the best gifts are a few Andrew Jacksons. Any kid would love a few extra 20 dollar bills.
But the best gifts have to be from grandma and grandpa. You know I told you Mr. Senior 2013 didn’t want a graduation ring, so my parents just got him a regular, but beautiful gold ring.
One that he truly will use throughout his life and not take off later or put in the bottom of his drawer. I love that idea.
Did you get some ideas for when the time comes to buy a high school graduation gift? What do you normally buy?
Hugs and love ya,